Synagogue musician, choir director, teacher
Mich is an experienced singer of synagogue liturgy and supports a number of communities by providing just the right music for their services. She is a relaxed and reliable service leader, comfortable working with clergy, lay leaders, or on her own.
Current offerings on Zoom:
– Tots Service (age 5 and under, accompanied by their grown-ups) – using a tried and tested structure which includes joyful songs, movement, prayers and a story. This can be for Shabbat or for a particular festival.
– Erev Shabbat service – co-leading with clergy or lay leader, contributing all sung prayers unaccompanied or accompanied by guitar or piano. Includes one 2-hour meeting with service leader to agree detailed content of service.
– Shabbat Shacharit – co-leading with clergy or lay leader, contributing all sung prayers unaccompanied or accompanied by guitar or piano. Includes one 2-hour meeting with service leader to agree detailed content of service.
– Weekday ma’ariv (up to 40 mins) – restful service from the Reform or Liberal siddur led by Mich including both spoken and sung prayer.
– Synagogue music workshop for adults – teaching and singing a variety of prayers/songs to a theme agreed with you! Lyric sheet provided and recording of session may be kept for review.
– Adding music to your cheder activity / family service – if you are providing an activity for school age children online, I can add sung prayers or songs to be interspersed with your other content.
– Leyning (chanting the Torah portion) in Shabbat or High Holy Day trope.
“The crafting of the service was inspirational and made me think; and the music so incredibly special… Thank you for providing a very special evening, one which will keep me going for a long time to come.” (Congregant)
“Mich is a wonderful, inspiring and fun singing teacher who has transformed our singing group. She manages to teach and explain complex issues while at the same time making anyone of any ability feel included and heard. Her use of humour visibly lessens the tension in the room, when people are struggling with a new melody or nerves. She is thoughtful and her explanations adds a spiritual element to the singing experience, while always maintaining a very down to earth tone. We are blessed to have her.”
(Rabbi Sandra Kviat, Crouch End Chavurah)
“Thank you so much for singing at our wedding ceremony. Your singing (particularly of Zeh Dodi) was amazing – really set the tone beautifully for the service – barely a dry eye in the place! It made it completely stress-free for us that you grasped what we wanted so quickly… we’d recommend you without hesitation!” (Dan and Michelle, wedding couple)